Insert Title Here

No really, this post is about titles :)

So, as mentioned before, I have no idea what to name this bad boy as yet. I've been engaging in some correspondence with my friend Tyler who's pointed me in some good directions, and I thought I'd share the stuff that's working for me, and see if anyone else can take it in a better direction than I can.

So, my goals for the title are for it to be simple and evocative of the milieu, without locking in any really specific flavor elements (so, while "The Crow Father's Children" has a cool ring to it, I don't want to lock in the Crow Father as one of the gods your group has to use or assume is real). Likewise "In the House of Winter" sounds awesome, but doesn't have much to do with the game as it stands.

A "list" sort of name, particularly one that features three elements (if you hadn't noticed "three" is a theme throughout the rules) might be good. Something like "Bronze, Bone, and Birch" or "Oak and Bronze, Ash and Iron". Especially since lists feature so prominently in the clan creation rules. If I could come up with better names for "Loyalty, Wealth, and Glory" then those would be prime candidates for the title.

I keep wanting to steal the name "The Book of Three" from Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain, but that might be too obvious/stealing-y.

So, thoughts on names?

6 comments:

  1. You know, you could just add an "S" and make it "The Book of Threes."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, crap, I think "The Book of Threes" is the real title, and I got mixed up. Which is a shame, because that sounds better and would be an easy fix if it were the other way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, it's "The Book of Three." "Threes" would be kosher, and a nice allusion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, alright Mr. Fancy Pants with your "actually checking" and what not. It's not like I'm connected to a global network with these sorts of answers available.

    I'll think about "Threes", then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my case, it's just that I read that series to death through childhood. These days, I mostly just reread "Taran Wanderer" every few years, but I have the titles, spellings, and plots down pat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh, fair enough. Unfortunately I wasn't introduced to them until, oh, last year. By you. But I plan for my kids not to have the same problem. Obviously they made an impression.

    ReplyDelete