Dungeon Dozen Fan Index



[UPDATE 1/6/21: I no longer support spending money on products that benefit Zak S, or giving him positive attention and connection. The short version is that I find credible claims that he has engaged in unacceptable behavior and not made up for it. For more detail, see here for the core of the accusations. To get Zak's side of things, he maintains this separate blog from his main one to post updates on the legal status of these complaints. 
Please consider these claims and make your own decision on their validity, and the implications thereof, before either supporting or shunning Zak.]

Don't worry, folks, we'll be getting back to Middenheim soon (possibly even later today, depending on what I can get done).  But I wanted to take a minute to talk about a mini-project I'm maybe one third to half way through: the Dungeon Dozen Fan Index.  First off, if you aren't familiar with the Dungeon Dozen, you're missing out.  Jason Sholtis creates totally amazing D12 tables of just about anything you can imagine: dungeon building, encounters, monster abilities, character backgrounds, and more.  They really are just stupidly good.  Reading them makes me want to run a campaign with nothing but his tables as referee rules.

At any rate, Zak S pointed out on G+ that referencing the tables quickly was difficult.  Now, we're all looking forward to when a good book collecting these comes out, but in the meantime, I figured I'd do a little community service. See, I had read and enjoyed the occasional post, and I always thought "I should go through and read the archives over at Dungeon Dozen", but I hadn't started until this last week.  Then I saw Zak's comment, and I thought "Well, I'm already reading all of these anyway, so I could do that."  And so I've started.  You can see the link to "Dungeon Dozen Fan Index" on the right sidebar, but in case you're in mobile mode or something, I've linked it a few times in this post as well.

The idea is to organize the posts in a way that makes sense for quickly finding something when you need it during a game.  I'm just making up the categories as I come across stuff that doesn't seem like it fits in other categories, so the process is open to some flaws.  Any feedback or suggestions on organization are greatly appreciated.  I'm already thinking that "Dungeon Dressing" needs to be split up.  But there is a danger in that I absolutely love nested, hierarchical organization. Like, probably way too much.  For example: to get to, say, my pdf copy of Basic D&D from my home folder on my computer I go Home -> Gaming -> RPGs -> Old School Renaissance -> D&D -> Basic -> File.  I was informed that this is kind of crazy pants when I started sharing files for the Fellhold campaign with my players.

So, I need some outside eyes to make sure I don't succumb to my urge to categorize, sub categorize, sub-sub-categorize, and so on.  My current thinking is that Large Size Broad Categories with Normal Sized Bold Sub Categories Where Necessary will be about right.  The main trouble will be in making myself not create one-entry sub-categories. I just have a thing for not mixing "folders" and "files" at the same tier.  Like I said, weird.

Anyway, enjoy and let me know what to fix!

No comments:

Post a Comment